This is a must see historical property, tucked in a private corner in the hamlet of Colton on the Raquette River, the reservoir of lower Higley. The house was first established as a carding mill in the early 1800's preparing wool before it was spun. In the 1930's it was Colton's first fire department on Gustin Square. It now resides on the foundation of the horse barn that housed the horses which pulled the pumpers when there was a fire call. This brings the historical stonework inside giving very unique specialties to the main bathroom and bedroom. This area is surrounded by a covered deck with a river view and 6 person hot tub. Around the corner is a large private patio area that leads to an outside entrance to the main bedroom and to a stairway up to the driveway and garage areas. As you walk through the main entryway with heated tile floor, and tongue and groove cathedral ceiling, you enter an open floor plan where you are greeted with a wrap-around panoramic river view of the foothills of the Adirondacks. 2 large sliding glass doors give you access to the 10 x 26 deck which overlooks the walkway to the dock. Another window over the antique farm sink gives beautiful light to the kitchen and island. The whole area is detailed in the original ship lap walls and ceiling and is accented with an open antique beam stairway that leads up to a landing with 3 huge windows that give a splendid brilliance to a large open loft area that is finished with tongue and grove cathedral ceiling. An array of custom steel beam work and curtain rods add an eclectic twist. You can exit the upper deck by the catwalk using the precisely placed boulders that edge the paved driveway. A new carport leads you into the original 200 yr. old garage that is able to house a car and the man cave which has a woodstove and workbench area. A new addition has added another stall for a car and 2 garage doors for easy access to the grounds, gardens, woodshed and outside storage area. It doubles for
Debbie Gilson of County Seat Realty
View Phone Number
As seen in...
Homes & Land of Northern New York,
Vol. 04, Issue 03, Page 13.
Request a free magazine here, or call 1-800-277-7800.
- Basement: Basement with Windows, Finished Basement, Full Basement, Walk-Out Basement
- Cable/Satellite TV: Cable TV
- Heating System: Wall Heating Unit
- Roof: Metal Roof
- Exterior Construction: Outdoor Lights, Paved Driveway
- Garage: 2 Car Garage, Detached Garage
- Patio: Deck(s)
- Porch/Deck: Deck(s)
- Floors: Hardwood Floors, Tile Flooring
- Interior Construction: Great Room, Kitchen/Dining Room Combo, Master Bathroom, Master Bedroom, Mud Room, Vaulted/Cathedral Ceilings in Master Bed, Walk-In Closet(s)
- Fence: Fenced
- Sewer Utilities: Public Sewer
- View: Mountain View, Panoramic Views
- Waterfront: Lake/River Front, Waterfront
- Living Room: 20x30 open to kitchen
- Kitchen: 20x30 open to living room
- Master Bedroom: 18.5 X 28.5 includes bath
All information is courtesy of the St. Lawrence County Board of REALTORS®, it's membership, and www.slcmls.com. It is herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed.